The next month will be a busy one for the club with regard to both rowing and social events. I have a list of events and links for you to fill in below.
The Hermitage session tonight will involve 6x1k pieces for the boys and Arran and Colin have set a session for the girls.
On Sunday the club’s new President, Julie Lewcock, named the new single scull after our Chairman, Bob Young after all of his work in both helping to raise funds for the club and his tireless work over the past eight years. I for one appreciate the fact that many of the things he has done have made my life a great deal easier.
The focus after the head season now for the juniors is on the more shorter distances of 1500m to 2k. This is the time that we focus on improvements in boats so that we can aim to medal and qualify for national events like the Junior Inter-Regionals in the early season. As well as this we still have three juniors involved heavily in the GB Junior Team trial process in the new year.
Other key events in the club calendar
- The tickets for the Christmas Party at Burnmoor Cricket Club have now all sold out. This is a record and reflects the amount of members we have, which is a huge plus.
- The club is having a capsize drill at Birtley Swimming Pool on Wednesday 14 December (meet at 6.40pm at the pool, 7pm start) and is compulsory as a club for all ages, we need to meet certain criteria to operate within British Rowing, and this annual event, which is actually quite fun, needs to be done – an availability sheet will follow.
- The Junior inter-regional Regatta trials take place in February, j14-16 only, apart from younger coxes. Please fill in the form below if you wish to participate.
Junior inter-regional availability
- The bagpack at Sainsbury’s takes place at the Arnison Centre on Tuesday 20th December, there are various slots to sign-up for, just remember to bring some CLS kit to wear. Form below:
Sainsbury bag pack availability
- The club is looking to raise extra funds on a local level with the help of local businesses and finding items in shop windows that would not normally be associated with those shops. More information here:
Link to Facebook article
Finally, the club closing and opening dates for the festive period are below. Please take note that we aren’t closed a great deal over Christmas and extra sessions (coach dependent) may be offered to certain squads.
|Thurs 22nd||Last Session/ cleaning|
|Fri 23rd||No session|
|Sat 24th||No session|
|Sun 25th||No session|
|Mon 26th||No session|
|Tues 27th||No session|
|Weds 28th||Sessions back on|
|Thurs 29th||Sessions back on|
|Fri 30th||No session|
|Sat 31st||No session|
|Sun 1st Jan||No session|
|Mon 2nd||Club sessions resume|